Saturday, December 15, 2012

Music: What feelings sound like.

Whether it is the amazing guitar riffs featured on Voodoo Child (Slight Return) or the melodic message immortalized in the 1964 civil rights anthem A Change is Gonna Come, music speaks.

We have all heard a song on the radio or while shuffling through our iTunes libraries that transported us back to a specific time in our lives. Maybe the song spurred a mental reenactment of your first kiss or embodies the emotions felt during the unfortunate loss of a loved one. Whatever the case, music evokes emotion.

Rhythms, scales, ranges, harmonies, melodies, lyrics...when woven together, they create stories. As a lover of music, I'm sure this post will be featured (and evolving) time and time again but let's take a look at some of my favs. *drum roll* In no particular order.....


There is something about the purity of Hathaway's voice that moves me  EVERYTIME I hear this track. From the opening piano scale to the sincerity of each pristine note, the listener embarks on a journey with the artist. Simply musical perfection!


 What kind of post would this be if I didn't mention Whitney Houston! Originally written and recorded by country icon, Dolly Parton, Whitney's cover of 'I Will Always Love You' went on to become one of the most recognizable singles in music history. 'The Bodyguard' soundtrack sold over 44 million copies worldwide and still (over a decade later) makes appearances in my CD deck from time-to-time.  Legendary!


 I know my readers are scratching their heads at this one but I am a HUGE Rascal Flatts fan! Although 'Bless The Broke Road' is a Marcus Hummon's cover, the unique and compelling harmonies of Rascal Flatts puts a great spin on the song.  Beautiful!


Bilal's classically trained falsetto on Soul Sista is ridiculous! In an era where women (particularly of color) are commonly depicted as 'sex objects' or 'video vixens', Bilal celebrates the beauty and sensuality that is us.  Soulful!


'Sara Smile' is the title of a song written and recorded by the musical duo Hall and Oates and is about Hall's then girlfriend, Sara Allen. What can I say? Daryl Hall and John Oates have soul and their harmonies-simply angelic.


Anyone who knows me, knows I L-O-V-E Nesta Robert Marley, BKA Bob Marley. Revered for his lyrical approach to social injustices and eccentric reggae performances, Marley can do no wrong in my eyes!  Legacy!

I hope you enjoyed the first of many musically inspired posts.  Feel free to leave comments about your favorites.  Who knows?  You may just see them featured in the future!

Until next time....

-NiNi



2 comments:

  1. I am digging your musical selections. A Song for You is butter, Holding Back the Years by Simply Red/Angie Stone, Forever Always by Lalah, and It' s So Hard to Say Goodbye to Yesterday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you approve Mr. The Untouchable! I luv all of the ones you have recommended as well! Keep them coming and thanks for reading/commenting!

    ReplyDelete