'Tis the season for stores to advertise items/clothes that will 'improve' your life, at least in the eyes of PR departments everywhere.
Maybe it's just me but (WARNING: here comes a rant) I take offense to marketers promoting clothing that magically 'slim' or 'hide' what society perceives as my 'problem areas.'
Don't act like you haven't seen commercials featuring disgruntled individuals pinching their 'muffin tops' or women, seemingly near tears, gazing at their 'thunder thighs.'
Has anyone stopped to consider the possibility that I like the physical landscape that my curves create. Here's a thought- Maybe I like my PLUS SIZED BODY. Maybe I enjoy (gasp) the way my wider than a 'size 10 hips' make my entrance into or exit from a room a bit more dramatic.
The bottom line is clothes are not going to make me look 2 sizes smaller nor do I want them to. I don't desire to purchase clothes that divert people's attention from my fleshier bottom or 'child-bearing' hips. (Truth be told, I don't think I could disguise these features if I wanted to).
I want clothes that make me feel elegant, cute, sexy, and regal at the same dang-on time ...just like every other woman on planet Earth.
Coming from a woman who has heard commentary like, 'You are so pretty for a large girl.', 'You would look so cute in skinny jeans if your thighs weren't so big.', 'Maybe you should consider this diet.' blah blah blah, so on and so forth my entire life, I DO NOT need to hear it from seasonal advertisers as well.
I'm (finally) lovin' the skin I am in and appreciating the wonderland that is my body.
Everyone who has a problem with it... too bad!
Until next time....
-NiNi
'Ms. Thicker Than A Snicker And Loving It'
Well you tell them honey! I agree there is an overload of advertisements that promote unhealthy self image instead of teaching people to love all of themselves. We all have some thing on our body that we wish we could change. But when we learn to love everything about who we are created to be, those little imperfections don't even matter any more.
ReplyDeleteI think that a lot of us are not comfortable in our skin.....me included. I finally realized to embrace who I am because I am unique and to stop trying to conform to society. I choose to be healthy on my terms, not anyone else's.
ReplyDelete